Re: Engine Tuning Device

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine Tuning Device
From: "Brian St. Jacques" <brian@varatouch.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 13:59:07 -0700
Daniel,

I had planned on running the two wire...that is the self heating, right? I
haven't studied up too much on the O2 sensors yet to see which will yield
the results I want, but I am working with a pretty decent A to D converter
with good resolution and adjustable reference, and I can also apply some
signal conditioning if necessary. From what I have heard the O2 sensors are
just a thermocouple. If anyone has any recommended resources, I was
planning on reading up about this stuff real soon. The 5 wire sounds pretty
interesting too...

At 01:51 PM 10/3/2000, Daniel Neuman wrote:
>Hello Brian,
>         Interesting idea. Have you talked to keith about your mixture reader?
>He has a fairly fancy looking homemade one.  Which type of O2 sensor are
>you using?? I have heard that the 1 wire type are useless -that the two
>wire type are better but really only give good readings around the ideal
>mixture-their range is not broad enough.  Have you heard about these 5-wire
>sensors??  They are supposed to be able to give lots more info over a much
>broader range than the other...problem is I believe that they are at least
>twice as much as a two wire model.
>                 Daniel 69 2000
>                 SF CA
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I have seen some of those fuel mixture monitors that interface to O2
> > sensors, and this seemed like something that might help considerably with
> > the carb tuning. I am currently in process of designing my own, partly
> as a
> > term project and partly because I plan on actually using it. I am actually
> > adding a few more features to the device to gather a little more
> > information for diagnostics. The unit in the car will have a bank of LEDs
> > to indicate fuel mixture, but I am also picking up the RPMs and throttle
> > position. I have a connection to interface to a computer and have
> written a
> > program to continually graph the last 10 seconds worth of data for the
> fuel
> > mixture, RPMs and throttle position. I have most of this done already, but
> > I am doing some things with an electric motor to simulate the results so I
> > don't have to bring a car into class.
> >
> > My question is this- Does anybody know of a throttle position sensor that
> > they think may be adaptable to an SU setup? I could rig up a potentiometer
> > with some linkage, but I figured that a real throttle position sensor
> would
> > be better fit to live in an engine compartment. If anyone has any
> > suggestions, please let me know.
> >
> > Brian '68 1600

Brian '68 1600