Re: squeaks

To: "Jim Plegue" <jandr95@home.com>
Subject: Re: squeaks
From: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 22:40:25 -0700
Jim,

Please believe me when I tell you, "You didn't get a lube job, no matter
what the service man told you". I can be 100% sure that if you take the time
on your back and check all your lube points, You will find that half of them
still have the plugs installed and not zerk fittings. This means, these
grease points HAVE NOT been greased since Yokohama Japan!

I was very surprized to find this was true on my roadster and have continued
to find this very thing on other roadsters I have serviced for freinds.
This is a real "I love my car" chore, and it's good for you to do. You get
to know your front suspension and monitor it's condition. It is a Messy job
but not a tough one. for less than $50.00 you can get a medium quality
grease gun, high quality grease and a box of ten 45 degree zerks and a box
of ten straight zerks and then you will be sure that you got a lube job. If
it still sqeaks after that, You will have had the opertunity to have
inspected you suspension to isolate the problem. Read Tom's post about zerk
fittings below.

If you lived in L.A you could do it here! I'm afraid Berkley is out of my
territory!

Victor
70 SRL 31113136
Los Angeles
SoCalROC http://www.ameri-eagle.com/datsun/

Tom Walter's post March 2000 (edited)
--------------------
The 22 zerk fittings is to drive datsun roadster owners crazy finding them.
;-)

PER SIDE
Upper A-arm        2
Lower A-Arm        2
Upper ball joint   1
lower ball joint   1

That is six, both sides   =  12

Tie Rod Ends                  6

Idler Arm Housing             1

Rear Hand brake linkage       1
(pivot on rear axle)

Inside U-joint                2
(some U joints do
NOT have zerk fittings)

There really are 22 zerk fittings. Happy greasing. To find the INNER tie rod
zerk fittings, you'll have to more the steering wheel back and forth. Not
uncommon to still find the little plugs on the back of the tie rod end
fittings. Remove, install zerk and grease away. Some roadsters have limited
clearance where the tie rod passes the frame, so you may need to reinsert
the little plug.

1/4" zerk fittings - common at autoparts stores.