Re: Auto tranny (was: RL411)

To: Ken Pletcher <pletch@home.com>
Subject: Re: Auto tranny (was: RL411)
From: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 11:21:36 -0700 (PDT)
Ken Pletcher asks:
> 1)Does anybody know how difficult it would be to find a RL411 transmission?

Reports are that the RL411 automatic is wider than the transmission
tunnel in the Roadster - in other words, it won't fit. Yes, I've
been casually looking into an automatic conversion for quite some time.
Call me blasphemous, but I want an automatic for my wife (and now
my daughter is starting to get that 'gleam'...) I suspect an entire
driveliine swap is the way to go.

Maybe Ron can mate an FJ20 with an automatic? :-)

> 2)Does anybody have info on installing a A/C kit where to find them and
> recommendations?

Custom fit. A guy in Texas had a setup, and you hear of them now and again.
Yank the smog pump and put a rotary compressor in its place. Sacrifice
what little trunk space there is for an evaporator box, or possibly
do what a friend with an Opel GT did: build a low box that sits on top
of the package tray (watch clearance for the soft top).

-- John