AZ show report.

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: AZ show report.
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 14:29:30 EDT
Saturday was Datsun day around here for sure. After rushing home from a 1/2
day of working, I  went out to clean up the car a bit for the show. <G> I
found that my 2-tone paint job is more convenient than I realized.... when
you're in a hurry you only need to wax the top half of the car !!!!! Several
passers-by in the parking lot made the usual comments, but the KFC delivery
girl was absolutely estactic about finally meeting the owner of the car she
keeps seeing here.

Turns out she is a "car-girl" too and had a b/f that had a roadster. Sad
though... she said that he let her drive it on some twisty roads, it got
outta control & she flipped it - 3x roll-over, landing jelly-side-down. It
had high-backs that held them up - they weren;t squooshed. Scary eh? (I
expect "women drivers" remarks here, but don't!) (Note to AZ guys - she said
the car is in the Pick-a-part on McClintock - I will investigate soon)

Went up to the Pavillions after that -  lo & behold another roadster guy took
me up on the invite ! Steve Hill was there with his white 68 2000. It was the
car I saw the other day. I think my car was happy to see another roadster - I
don't recall it ever having like company at such an event. The Desert Z
Association was thrilled that we were there - even marginally
"over-enthiastic" about having Roadsters in thier midst. This group appears
to get out & do things often - They will prolly see much more of me in the
future.

The crowning touch for the Datsun section of the show  was my Japanese Battle
Ensign. <G> Mark stopped at the Home Depot - got a 10' section of conduit,
zip-tied it on and we "flew colors." The wind picked up and it displayed
itself proudly. Even got a great photo of the Mt. Surabachi pose ( in
reverse!!!!). Will post it soon.

Several former roadster owners came forward, including one guy that had a
3-seater that he, uh, ummm....uh.... stuck up on a jeep frame & stuffed a 289
into. Roadster Mudder! He had a pic of it in his wallet to share. <shaking
head> Yes, purists will cringe, but he enjoyed it - ain't that what really
counts?

3/4 the way through the night an ominous brown cloud loomed in the distance -
Uh Oh - Dust Storm ! Most of the trailer-queen rods pulled out, but we stuck
it out just fine. We only got the edge of the cloud, BUT - I know for sure I
want a tonneau cover now. If anyone has one they don't want anymore (needs a
little handy-work is just fine) figure out a price & let me know
(high-backs/no roll bar).

A good time was had by all. Made for a nice BDay pressie for me.

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
69 SRL311
Chandler, AZ