Working out the quirks

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Working out the quirks
From: Stephan Sochoux <sochoux@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 20:49:31 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all,

I have a few items i'd like to fix before Shasta...

- very strong gas smell while driving, especially when
coming to a rest. It seems to come and go. It's almost
like a diesel sort of odor. I cannot find a leak
anywhere. During last weekend's bbq run, some say they
could smell it while cruising behind me.
The carbs are running a little rich but were verified
to be correct with Dan's Colortune. The plugs have a
nice tan color. I'm puzzled.

- the distributor housing where the tach connects has
sprung a leak. Is this an indication of excessive
crankcase pressure ?  The air filter's backside gets
oily (black) yet the engine oil is 350 miles fresh.

The timing is set to 10 BTDC, otherwise it pings due
to the high compression (domed pistons). Dry
compression test is 210,220,215,215 - for each
cylinder test, i let it sit one minute to see if the
compression would drop, nothing really, 5 lbs at most
on one cylinder. I wasn't expecting such high numbers.
With these readings, is it gonna blow up on me ?? I
must say that it pulls hard... it wants to open up but
i think the SUs will be the limitation. Haven't pushed
it passed 4.5K
The idle is very smooth at 600rpm, it doesn't skip a
beat and it shuts off without dieseling.
I'm really concerned about the strong gas odor, any
ideas appreciated. Tomorrow i'll change the oil, maybe
gas is leaking into it ?

Thanks,
Stephan
'69 2000