Clutch woes, revisited

Subject: Clutch woes, revisited
From: Arthur Rockwell <ARTHUR@vistamediagroup.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:08:29 -0800
Well, my Roadster brethren....

Yesterday I survived a mechanical marathon by renting a towable engine hoist
(the only way to go!) at the crack of dawn, hauling it back to my garage in
the pouring rain, pulling the engine/tranny, replacing the clutch & pressure
plate, executing a down & dirty engine bay cleanup/paint job, dropping the
engine/tranny back in and returning the engine hoist before United Rentals
of Van Nuys closed by 5:00PM.  WHEW!

It was quite an education.... 1st I learned that a down & dirty engine bay
cleanup and paint job may make it look worse than before.  Especially if you
paint it a flat red that makes it look like someone ate strawberry pie and
then puked on your car (my apologies to those with queasy stomachs).  I also
discovered that the PO was in a hurry to put the engine back into the car:
the tranny had only the top 2 bolts holding it to the engine, one of them
was so loose I could unscrew it by hand; two of the body mounting bolts were
missing.

Anyway, folks, I'm glad I got that out of the way so I can concentrate on
the myriad of other details that need attention. Cheers!

Arthur R. Rockwell
'66 SPL311
North Hollywood, California
arthur@vistamediagroup.com