Long Beach show

To: "the posse":;
Subject: Long Beach show
From: Joseph Roach <jroach@qualcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 19:40:25 -0800
Hi gang,
Sunday was a great day for a drive. I got up to Les's a little before
8:30am. Driving up from the beach, the air was cool that early in the
morning with a few pockets of light fog. I new this would only be temporary
as the sun was shining and warming things up. When I arrived at Les's,
Harry Homer was there with his 68 2000 solex along with Phil Erickson and
his 69 2000 solex. Kudos to Phil for bringing donuts! (Wait a minute, I
forgot to have one!) To my surprise, Les pulled out the just recently
restored Bondurant 240-Z for the trip. With its orange paint and decals,
this is one bad-ass looking car.
  With me having the slowest car of the bunch, I was elected to set the
pace. We had a good run up the 5 to the 405 and then to the 605. We kept in
formation with Harry's car in my rear view mirror most of the time, then
Phil, and then Les. I have to say, it was pretty cool seeing that black
nose of that Z prowling back there.
  We did miss the exit for the park by a couple of exits (there was no
Spring St heading north). That was okay for in turning around, I got to see
Les stomp on it a bit as he then took the lead.
  SoCalROC picked a beautiful place to meet. The park had a man-made lake
and there must have been about 20 people sailing their miniature
remote-controlled sailboats in it. Except for these folks, there weren't a
lot of people at the park so it was quite easy to lay claim to a part of
the parking lot just for ROADSTERS! There was a good turnout of cars (I
think 15?) and Andrew Murphy was a great host by providing the big sandwich
kind of thing, salads, chips and sodas (his girlfriend Liz deserves credit
for this too). What a great bunch of people to hang out with! Everybody was
friendly and enjoying the park, the cars, taking pictures, being out in the
sun, and of course, the food!.
  Then it was time to get back in the cars and head on back. The cars were
running great. On this trip, I was running faster than I normally do and
found that my car was real comfortable running at 4700-4800 rpms. The trip
back was a little more interesting. At one point, a newer Fiat roadster
(Spyder?) went past me and I had to chuckle when I saw Harry blasting
behind it, goosing the throttle. When we got back into San Diego and
heading east on the 76 we ran into a Corvette convertible, Indianapolis 500
pace car. It was the newer body style and painted a mod looking purple and
yellow. I just thought it was neat to see it with the Bondurant Z running
side by side.

Here are some links to the photos of the meet:

SoCalROC http://www.netcom.com/~andr/socalroc.htm

Victor Laury photos http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=123073

Joseph Roach
65 1500