Re: Grease

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Grease
From: Todd Osborn <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 22:26:38 -0800
Robert,
At a minimum this means you have a bad grease seal (duh!). If you're
lucky the problem is a failed oil seal, this seal keeps differential oil
out of the axle bearings.  The oil tends to dilute the grease and it
then easily runs past the grease seal and all over the brakes.  You need
to pull the axle, replace the inner oil seal, clean and inspect the
bearing. If you caught this soon enough, you can repack and
re-assemble.  If not a new bearing and new collar must be pressed on.
Warning: if the brake shoes were soiled with grease, replace them. Check
Tom's tech tips for more info on rear axle r&r.