Re: Hot tanking vs Baking

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hot tanking vs Baking
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 00 14:48:25 CST
>> Deliver the block with the MAIN CAPS installed ...
>
>Why?

The machinist will want the main caps installed prior
to boring the engine. As you torque the main caps in place
it will distort the bore ever so slightly. So you want
them with the engine before the go boring it.

For a race engines, they also have "top plates" to simulate
the forces involved when a cylinder head is installed.
This is usually a 2" thick slab of steel that is bolted
in place before boring the heads, with holes were the
bores are to allow the machine shop access to the bores.

>> Chamfer the top off all the threaded holes. (Ok, ok, I am really
>> picky).
>
>Why?

The top of the threads tend to "pull" up. You want the top of
the block flat, not little raised areas around the thread holes
to interfer to the clamping pressure on head gasket. Also with
the chamfered holes, easier to start the bolts and less likely
to cross thread a bolt hole.

>> SUPER PICKY (i.e. race only). Paint the bottom inside of the block
>> with GLYPTAL.
>
>Why?

Smooths and seals the interior of the block. Oil drains back quicker,
and no chance of having a casting flash crack off and drop into the
oil.  Once in a blue moon you have some traped sand in the block,
under that flashing. Bummer if it gets into the oil, and the filter
is plugged enough to allow bypass flow.

Plus this gives you something to do while waiting for more parts
to arrive. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom Walter