Re: Alternator upgrade '67 1600

To: MMccaf8697@aol.com
Subject: Re: Alternator upgrade '67 1600
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 100 18:12:07 -0800 (PST)
Hello MArk,
        I think that you need to buy the right side alt bracket. You can
use the somg bracket but the alt bracket takes almost no washers.
You have to use the traingle bracket to suppoet the front of the alt if you
dont the bolt will snap.
        The two bolts that hold the trangle bracket to the engine are standard
pitch 8mm.  You will need LONGER ones ~120mm.  I was not able to find them
so I cut some metric threaded stock to fit.  I used some loctite anddouble
nutted the ~120mm lengths of threaded rod to make bolts.  They seem to be
working out fine.
        I bought my alt from summit racing.  I got a brand new one with
internal regulator for like 100 bucks.
Hooking up the alt is easy.  I used big battery cables.  One cable to the
plus side of the battery and then I ran a ground to the neg side of the
battery.  Besides the starter circuit I think that this carries the most
current of any circuit in the car.  Specially if you get the 100 amp alt.So
you dont want to be messing with any indeterminate ground paths.
        I also hooked up a smaller gauge wire,through a 30 amp fuse to where
the old old alt hooked into the electrical system.
        Be forewarned, your amp gauge will not really work anymore.  Most
pwople install a voltmeter anyways.  I think that the volmeter is the best
way to check theh batt. ~14V good ~12V bad.
        Now that I have the alt mounted securly I am very happy with it.  It
easily powers everything on my car, and Ihave a lot of extra stuff.
                Daniel 69 2000
                SF CA