Re: My fairlady is on the road again

To: Matthew W Peterson <pete-3@juno.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My fairlady is on the road again
From: dtn <noji@mail.ahc.umn.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:53:12 -0600
At 12:06 PM 3/31/99 -0600, Matthew W Peterson wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I got my Datsun back on the road the other day and the breaks work fine.
>One concern is that on the first pump the pedal goes almost to the floor
>although the brakes still engage.  However, when I pump the pedal a
>second time it stops about mid way down and seems to have more pressure. >

Matt,

You have the classic symptoms of a bad master cylinder.  There are rebuild
kits for the master cylinder, but I've tried and others on the list have
attempted to get the rebuild kit to work.  A problem with the aluminum
cylinders are that they are not designed to be honed.  If there are pits
you are hosed.  The rebuild kits are inexpensive and worth a try.  New
masters are available and work well.

Dana