Re: Another vote for Red Line MTL Gear Box Oil

To: HIGHKIX4@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another vote for Red Line MTL Gear Box Oil
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:50:40 EST
In a message dated 3/25/99 8:15:12 PM Mountain Standard Time, HIGHKIX4@aol.com
writes:

<< I'll have to try this when mine gets ready for the road (I'm
 predicting about one year)  When I drove it my second gear
 grunched on the upshift, let alone the downshift, so it may
 be too far gone.  But worth a try.  Where is a good place to find
 it, or should I just play Yellow pages roulette?
 Jim
 67 1600
 Norfolk Va

A note about Red-Line.  Everybody raved about it so much I decided to try it
in the transaxle of my 87 Honda Accord, which has bad synchros on 5th gear.
Didn't improve things at all (synchros are apparently completely gone) but I
was thinking, it couldn't hurt, so I tried it.  Well, the seal on the ride
side driveshaft began to leak like CRAZY,  so I replaced it with 20w50 motor
oil (this car calls for engine oil in the transaxle) and now it still leaks
less, but still leaks. So, just be aware that if your seals are at all
questionable, you may get leaks where there weren't any before.

Also tried QMI to help quiet the noisy ring and pinion gears in my roadster.
Now, that stuff is expensive! I think it's nearly $30 a quart.  This is the
stuff Bobby Unser advertises on the infomercial where they drain the oil out
of a Viper and run it around a race track, take the valve cover off an engine,
pour dirt on it, etc.  Anyway, I only found one place in town that carries
Red-Line and he recommended the QMI for the noisy rear end, so I bought a
quart and added it, and guess what?  It's still noisy.  Oh, well, so much for
miracle cures!

I'm sure both are fine products, but I thought I would pass on my experiences.

Joseph Berkenbile
70 1600
Albuquerque