Re: new owner, could use some advice

To: "Andrew Hencke" <Andy.Hencke@mci.com>,
Subject: Re: new owner, could use some advice
From: Kyle Hagemann <kyle@sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:16:53 -0800
At 11:21 AM 3/25/99 -0700, we got some some E-mail from Andrew Hencke.
>Glad to find a good maillist.

Welcome, you're in good hands!

>Last fall I bought a '60 1600 for $600.  Had sat in garage for 14 years.
>One family owner.  Father sold car to son, I bought car from son.

Hmmm....  AFAIK, valid years are '66-70....  A one family car is quite a find!

>I am curious for feedback about possible things to look out for.  I am
>already planning to rebuild brake and clutch cylinders as well as full
>tune-up.

Electrical gremlins are the biggest problem I had with my '66 1600.  The
connections corrode, and weird stuff happens.  The other problem I had was
that the car had been round and round, so lots of stuff was hooked up
wrong(or not hooked up at all!)

>Can I use commercially available motor oil, brake fluid, antifreeze, etc,
>etc.  What tune-up items will I not find at my local parts store?

As long as it's not really a '60, which might be strange and scary, all the
vital fluids are  off-the-shelf.

>Is there someone on this list that can supply common small parts/supplies
>like the rebuild kits for my brake/clutch cylinders?

Watch out - you're gonna get a flood of those!  Don't have any handy, but
you'll get tons from better-connected owners...

Kyle
'66 1600 (for sale)
'69 2000 (needs time and love)

     ____  Kyle Hagemann, Born-Again Grease Monkey From Beyond
 _.;(____\____    72 240Z, L28, 5spd, poly, etc. - The Z-Beast
|  _ |   |  _'@`, 66 1600, Daily Driver - For Sale! $3,250 /bo
`-(@)------(@)-;  69 2000, U20, goes like stink - no name yet!
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- 84 Maxima, 280ZX in sedan disguise - Mr. Max
http://www.sonic.net/~kyle 240Z tech info, Win95/8 theme, etc.
"What kind of sycophant are you?!"
          "What kind would you like me to be?" -101 Dalmatians