Re: Electronic Ignition?

To: <JeffnAly@aol.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electronic Ignition?
From: "J Friederich" <jfried@anv.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 19:26:00 -0800
Jeff -

>Hi all,
>Does anyone out there know what's hot and what's not when it comes to
>electronic ignition?  I've seen availability for Petronix, MSD, and
Fairlady
>Products "late style" electronic distributor systems.  What's good or
great,
>and is it all that superior to the point system?  Let's say this is for a
>street running, 2000 solex that is for all around performance in general
>traffic and highway use.

Mine is a '69 2000 Solex.  I got the Nissan Electronic from Dean at Fairlady
(set up for the Solex).  Buyers remorse set in before receiving it.  But I
put it in, and drove for a while.  I didn't notice much of anything (a
little quicker starting, perhaps).  But...

I used to check my timing once a week or so, and it always kind of bothered
my that the timing would wonder quite a bit.  At various RMS's I'd notice a
lot of 'bounce' when checking it - and I seemed to adjust it as often as I
checked it.  Since putting in the Electronic, I still check it - but every
time it has been dead on, and with no bounce at any RPM's ( I did replace
the Philips screw with a bolt).

I'll keep it, knowing that my timing is correct at all RPM's, and that
points are one less thing I'll have to worry about taking with on long trips
(like the upcoming one to Shasta!)

-John F
'69 2L Solex
Las Vegas, NV