Re: Electronic Ignition?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electronic Ignition?
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 99 08:59:29 CST
>The "late style" electronic distributor is one from a Datsun 210, 310 or
>pickup in the 1978 to 1982 range.  The roadster distributor shaft will fit
>into these distributors and only needs a small spacer and a longer screw to
>make it work.  These distributors are available in junkyards for very
>reasonable prices.

Stan -- usually I grab the distributors from a Datsun 210 (small sedan
- rear wheel drive).  The 310 (front wheel drive) distributor housing
needed modification, as did the pickup (L engine) distributor housing.

I like the "pick-n-pull" yards. Usually easier to find the older
Datsun/Nissan (80's model) to grab the distributor from.  Only
gripe about those distributors is to check the vacuum advance,
and the "advance plate".  Vacuum advance quite often is bad,
and the advance plate as a plastic bearing spacer, which is often
broken.  Helps to take a "mighty vac" along to check the vacuum
advance.

Jeff -- It is VERY COMMON on roadsters to find worn out
distributor's. Since you are not using a vacuum advance with
a Solex model, you do not have to worry about the advance
plate (which is usually frozen in place), but the springs do
fatigue and the advance cam wears out, as do the bushings.

With a worn distributor the timing will seem to "jump around"
quite a bit. It needs to be replaced or rebuilt first.

Biggest advantage I find to electronic ignition is just having
an easier time starting on cold mornings. I do not need as
much choke, and with an old battery it is nice to fire right
up!

The "Nissan conversion" (later electronic distributor, with
a roadster shaft in it) is a nice clean installation.  Set up
correctly, very reliable.

MSD units are also reliable, and help for those starting conditions.

The Pertronix units do occasional fail. Since it installs
into the original distributor, it is a simple matter of swapping
back to the original points, if needed (keep the spares in
the ash tray).

Cheers,

Tom Walter