Re: clarification

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: clarification
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:02:05 -0800
kiplinger@designsol.com wrote:

> Thanks for the answers!
>      I was hoping for a different solution than a pickle-fork.
> Every time I've used or seen it used, it was when the ball-joints were bad
> anyway.
>                          Ken
>                          -Still shooting for trashiest at Solvang
Ken,
        I've got an "Old Forge" puller that grabs the sides of the knuckle with
2 arms and pushes on the center stud with a bolt.  It was kind of pricey
($45, maybe) but so far, it's done the trick.  I torque the bolt down as
hard as I dare, whack it a few times, and it usually pops the ends
apart.  If it doesn't, a BIT of heat with a propane torch always does
it.  Usually, heating the knuckle, the tie rod end doesn't even get warm
before it pops loose.  Haven't tried it on ball joints- I don't think
it'd fit...
        Pickle forks are, indeed, rather destructive.  Also, you have to use
the correct size or they WILL trash the joint.
Toby