Re: clarification

To: kiplinger@designsol.com
Subject: Re: clarification
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 13:11:36 -0600
Another method that I have used to remove tie rod ends without damaging them
is to look carefully at the knuckle that the tie rod end goes into.  See if
there are any casting bumps on the side of the area where the tie rod end
goes through.  If you find one put a large (8 LB+) hammer against the bump
and hit the point opposite the casting with a smaller hammer.  I have found
that the joint will usually separate from the tie rod end with less than 10
hits.  If not, try applying some heat the the are and try again.  If the
casting does not have any bumps opnit, just line up the striking hammer and
backing hammer on opposite sides of the tie rod end.

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Hardware Guru
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885, UUCP:cs.utexas.edu!horne