Re: alignment

To: Ray Cole <raycole@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: alignment
From: james moore <jmoore1@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 15:43:57 -0500
Ray:

The caster measurement is the alignment measure that provides steering
stability. Caster is the angular measurement from vertical if you were to draw
an imaginary line through the bottom ball joint and the top ball joint
(looking at the side of the car). The top ball joint should be more toward the
rear of the car than the bottom. More caster is usually obtained by shimming
the rear attachment point of the top A-arm. This moves the top ball joint
toward the rear. You have to be careful, though, as changing the caster will
also change the camber (the angle from vertical of the wheel if you were
looking at the car head on).

Clear as mud, right?

Jim

MD