RE: Solex Confidential

To: "Paul Strassmaier" <PaulS@dowa.com>
Subject: RE: Solex Confidential
From: Ronnie Day <rday@cyberramp.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 13:41:06 -0500
>I am hoping for the e-ride!  (solexes, b-cam, 4.11 LSD).  I do have one
>question:
>
>When my mechanic had the motor apart he noticed that the valves were all
>bigger than in the factory shop manual.  When we replaced the exhaust valve
>guides we sized them to the existing valves (all had the little Nissan
>logo), and all seemed to work ok.  Before we put the head back on, I had him
>write all the valve sizes down so I could later figure out what was going
>on.
>
>Are there any specs anyone has for the larger valves?  The car was raced
>from 1968-1980, and the other stuff came in the car, maybe I lucked out and
>got the head too!!
>
>Is the cruising range on this car going to be less than 100 miles? :)

They might be the oversize "Z" valves. How big are they? Off the top of
my head I don't remember if the stem diameter and length were the same
for the L-series motors and the U-20, but I'd be more surprised if they
were different.

I'll look in the M/S catalog and some other books this evening at the
house. We'll be running 4.38 gears in the E/P car and 4.11's in the
street car, both with 5-speeds. It's really amazing to see the real world
differences that come from a (relatively) easy diff. ratio change. Easier
on the 510 and Z than on the solid axle cars. Remember you get similar
results with shorter tires, too. We ran 20 x 8 x 13 Goodyear slicks on
the 510 in Hawaii in the early '70's and the difference in diameter
(compared to a taller street tire) had a BIG effect.

I'm building my (actually our) own E-Ticket ride! <G>

Later, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@cyberramp.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)