Re: Solex Confidential

To: dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu
Subject: Re: Solex Confidential
From: Jim Tyler <jtyler29@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 10:10:26 -0800
> What if you got a  'better' cam grind that made power in a broader
>powerband?  I have been  wondering this
> why is the solex b cam the only one you ever hear about???
>
>         Daniel 69 2000

Give Nissan a little credit.  They know how cams work too!
The B cam is a very good compromise cam.  Not too lumpy (rough idle),
reasonable power band and torque.  They did a pretty good job.  The SU
cam is smoother, however.

If you go with a cam with much more lift and duration, you start
to loose lower end performance (no torque, bogs as you give it
gas etc.)  You will pick up top end though once you get into
the power band.  If you get too radical without improving the
whole engine, you will get a big soggy overcammed mess.

If you want a SMOOTH street motor, don't even think about a cam
significantly more radical than a B.  You won't be happy.

Jim Tyler
Topless Datsun