Re: Solex exposed

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Solex exposed
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 00:20:13 -0800
Hmmmm,
        Elgin does some grinds,  and I've got a Sig Erson cam sitting in grease
waiting for me to go buy the Webers and kit out a race engine.   And
then tune for weeks.  Then race.  Then lose.  Then tune again.  Then
re-jet.  Then swap cams.  Then...  But that's the rub:
        The roadster's a limited production car, and too narrow and heavy to be
competitive in vintage classes (without a lot of work- several teams win
with their roadsters, I've heard) so there aren't a lot of people tuning
them aggressively.  The Solex option gives proven bang for the buck
without a LARGE fortune in custom cam grinds, jetting kits, and weeks on
the dyno and on the track.
        More 'pedestrian' cars have more options:  my 2002 is easy to race-
just pick a class, spend a bunch of money for dozens of proven mods,
pre- jetted carbs, and if I can drive half- decently (not likely) I'm
almost a contender.  But they built hundreds of thousands of '02's, and
thousands of people still drive them to the limit, and that's
development time that the roadsters just don't get.  So there are fewer
optins...
Gad, I'm blabby tonight,
Toby