Nickle-Bronze welding

To: "Lotus List" <lotus-cars@lists.best.com>,
Subject: Nickle-Bronze welding
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 23:36:59 -0500
New input on an old thread regarding repair and fabrication work on the
"tube-frame" Lotus cars:   This from Ron Tebo tebomr@cadvision.com  :
welding guru,  who has added good information regarding "Jet Fluxing or Gas
Fluxing" equipment.  Ron further warns that ventilation and/or breathing
equipment is very important on ANY braze welding process:

I originally asked Ron about "gas fluxing" having heard of the process in
the "23 Users Group" newsletter:

>>> this happens before the gas ever gets to the torch . .the acetylene is
> routed through a chamber where is "wafts" across (not through) a container
> containing a highly volatile liquid flux and where it picks up the flux
> vapors.  The "fluxing" then happens at the weld site by the very action of
> the flame . . . My welding book from a Vo-Tech course mentions it but I'd
> really like to talk to someone who's used it.

Ron answered:

I checked with several of my welding buddies, and none had had experience
with
this type of equipment . However, I started checking further and  and found
few things.

  The technology seems to be neither Yank nor Brit. but likely European, and
main process use appears to be in controlled atmosphere furnaces, and shops
doing high volume high-temp brazing (radiator rebuilding and construction
and
bicycle frame builders are two examples) The main advantages of using this
process are decreased
porosity due to overheated flux and less use and cleanup of flux residue
(some
flux still has to be used in overlaps and areas the flame can’t  reach).
Skill
in brazing can probably compensate for all but the cleanup, but I can see
how
nickel-bronze brazing might be easier with this equipment.

The process involves passing acetylene or Maap gas though a saturator
containing alcohol based liquid and boric anhydride, and is supposedly
efficient for most metals except aluminum. It does not require a special
torch
or tips, but does require flashback arrestors.
The main company manufacturing this equipment appears to be The Gasflux
Company, based in Portugal. They claim to supply (French subsidiary) Ford,
Mercedes-Benz, Fiat, Volkswagen, Springer-Carrier and Tecumseh. Also, I
guess
they make one of the few UL approved units. The Gasfluxer model D-69 is
available in the U.S. for $350.00 plus shipping and the liquid  flux is $22
gallon, from
Henry James Bicycles, Inc.
704 Elvira Ave.
Redondo Beach CA 90277
Ph.310-540-1552
Fax: 310-361-8202
www.henryjames.com
He also carries brazing rod from this company and is distributor for
TrueTemper
who make high T. S. thin wall 4130 tubing.

I’m not sure I’d recommend this purchase,  since it would more than double
the
cost of your brazing equipment, for slight benefits on less than a hundred
joints. However, you may be able to re-sell to your local bike store! Good
luck
anyway!

Ron Tebo