Re[8]: tire pressure

To: Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>
Subject: Re[8]: tire pressure
From: rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 98 07:21:46 PST

>Yes, my father has now set the car up with 26 psi at the front(but still
>18 at the rear). He says the steering is now much more crisp :)

Ah, this sounds closer to what I would do (frt.-rear delta).  Have you
heard of the trick the slalomists (autocrossers) here in the US use for
determining the best tire pressure?  They apply white liquid shoe polish
to the edges of the tires at 3-4 places radially, then drive hard.  Then
they observe where the shoe polish has scrubbed off to determine how much
the tire is distorting under cornering loads.

Generally, you don't want to show evidence of contact with the ground
past the center of the edge radius.  Remembering that more pressure will
inhibit the rolling over of the tire and vice versa.

Rod