Re: actual content! - Gearbox Mods

To: "Keith Gustafson" <gusmach@shore.net>
Subject: Re: actual content! - Gearbox Mods
From: "Phil Bradshaw" <phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 07:29:55 +1200
Hi Keith,

Shock, Horror! What, Content!? I was enjoying the list debate!

This is actually very interesting to me as my Anglia project - a natural for
the Chapman Era due to (1) its vintage, (2) the fact that Lotus themselves
used one as the mule for the TwinCam and (3) there was a supercharged Anglia
(known as an Allardette) available in the late 1960s.

I am just updating the whole theme - hell rumour has it Lotus had a fair
involvement in both the design of the 4AGE (well, even if it is a bit of a
BDA clone - albeit reliable and bullet-proof (fireproof coveralls on!)).
Also the MR2 is allegedly the end result of a dead Lotus/Toyota
collaboration project.

I guess that means my Anglia has better lineage than my Leitch......

Anyway, on with my question. I am now using a T-50 Toyota behind the
supercharged 4AGZE as it is a bolt on fit, however I also have a 200B SSS
Nissan 5 speed - with the integral bell housing and reverse above first gear
pattern. This was my original gearbox preference.

I was hoping to use this box on the Anglia but it got a bit hard to mate it
up at the time. My plan was to lop off the bell housing, machine it back
flat and then bolt it to an alloy plate welded onto the back of a suitable
bellhousing. How were you planning on doing this?

As for the input shaft length problem - I ass-u-me you are using a Ford
block of some kind - is it possible to mate the front 2/3 of the ford input
shaft incl. splines etc with the back 1/3 of the Nissan?

Also - probably old news - did you know that Nissan 1600s have a steel crank
that, with minor fettling, fit Ford Kent/ BDAs? Naturally you have to use
the Nissan flywheel and front pulley - would this help in two areas -
stronger crank and easier gearbox fit?

As for the great lists debate - I like what you say. I am also on Toyota
Mods, which is generally tech based, and there are a number of guy pushing
the envelope with engine mods - very interesting content. A good list to be
on.

regards

Phil

phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz
Auckland, New Zealand
:
Info on 4AGE and 3SGE conversions etc @
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/1043/
:
1992 Leitch Supersprint 20 Valve 4AGE Lotus 7 Replica - 68,000 Miles
1964 Ford Anglia '105-GZE' Supercharged 4AGZE Club Car Project
1985 TA 63 3TGTEU Celica Super Beater - $225 Wonder - getting some serious
repairs/mods...
1980 TA-45 2TGEU Celica Beater $200 Wonder