RE: LUCAS DISTRIBUTOR SPRINGS

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: LUCAS DISTRIBUTOR SPRINGS
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 01:22:35 -0700
> >I have several magazine articles on winding your own springs.  Might take
> >some experimentation to catalog spring rates given by different wire
> >diameters and alloys, but the rest seems easy enough.
>
> I WOULDN'T MIND SEEING THE ARTICLES

I don't have them handy, but checking their website, I see they were in :
Home Shop Machinist, May-June 2003 (ISTR this was about winding in your
lathe)
Machinist's Workshop, Feb-Mar 2001 (ISTR this was a purpose-built winder)
and
Machinist's Workshop, Oct 1999
(this may be an earlier version of the winder in the Feb-Mar 2001 issue)

I don't think Village Press sells back issues this old, but you could check
at
http://www.homeshopmachinist.net
If not, maybe you can find them in the library, or on eBay.

> >Having them made is perhaps a bit trickier ... you need to completely
> >specify the spring in terms of free length and spring rate.  If your
> >manufacturer agrees to your spec, and is unable to supply
> springs that meet
> >it, you should not have to pay for them.
>
> THE SPRING MAKER I WENT TO HAD NO TROUBLE WINDING THE SPRINGS
> FROM SAMPLES,
> THE DIFFICULTY;IS IN FORMING THE  SPECIAL "LONG LOOPS" ON THE ENDS. THE
> EXACT OVERALL LENGTH OF THE SPRING IS IMPORTANT TO MAINTAIN THE CORRECT
> SPRING TENSION AT REST.

Right.  An adjustable jig would probably be a good idea, but you can do a
fair amount 'tweaking' the loops by hand.

> I HAVE A SET OF TENSION BALANCE GAUGES AND CAN MEASURE THE LIFT OFF
> TENSIONS OF SPRINGS, WHICH ASSISTS, BUT IT IS NOT AN EXACT
> SCIENCE BECAUSE
> OF THE NEED TO HAVE A CRITICAL "AT REST" HOOK TO HOOK DIMENSION.

Even better than "at rest" would be "at installed length".  I'm thinking of
something rather like a pair of pliers, with the jaws ground to approximate
distributor posts, a spring scale to measure the force applied to the
handles, and a distance scale to indicate how far apart the handles are.

Sorry this is all just "blue sky" thinking ... I don't even have my
distributor machine built yet.

Randall