RE: LUCAS DISTRIBUTOR SPRINGS

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: LUCAS DISTRIBUTOR SPRINGS
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:27:53 -0700
> IS THERE ANYONE IN THIS GREAT CIRCLE OF BOUNDLESS KNOWLEDGE WHO HAS A
> SOURCE OF ADVANCE SPRINGS?.

I have several magazine articles on winding your own springs.  Might take
some experimentation to catalog spring rates given by different wire
diameters and alloys, but the rest seems easy enough.

> I might add that I have tried to have some springs made but that exercise
> ended up as a total (and expensive) disaster

Having them made is perhaps a bit trickier ... you need to completely
specify the spring in terms of free length and spring rate.  If your
manufacturer agrees to your spec, and is unable to supply springs that meet
it, you should not have to pay for them.

I don't know where you would find that information for the original springs,
but with the help of a distributor machine and a spring winder, it shouldn't
be too difficult to make a spring, measure it, then install it and observe
the results.  Just a few such results should be enough to characterize what
spring you need.

Randall