Re: Lucas and "the reputation"

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lucas and "the reputation"
From: ARoman4047@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 19:19:57 EDT
In a message dated 7/2/03 2:26:13 PM, srelf@lsil.com writes:

<< I want to take a close look at Lucas quality.

The questions that I could use ideas/suggestions on are:

1. is the Lucas reputation justified or not?

2. if it is justified, why does a second rate company continue being

second rate for year after year?  Is it really as simple as "because

they can"?

3. Why wasn't Lucas driven out of the auto-electrics business years ago?

  Is it as simple as "there will always be a market for goods built down

to a cost"?   Why are their products so poor? >>

OK...If you're really interested in hard-core statistical and verifiable
evidence try:

At the End of The Road; The Rise and Fall of Austin-Healey, MG,
and Triumph Sports Cars

by Timothy R. Whisler   ISBN 1559389060

See if your local library can borrow a copy for you (over $100, last
I checked)...Be prepared tho' not a 'puff book', no 'great marques'
BS...Just the collective history of failure; electrical systems in-
cluded... ;-(

Tony in NJ
W.A.S.T.E.