Re: British vehicle importation to US

To: "J Arzt" <humber_snipe@hotmail.com>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: British vehicle importation to US
From: "Jim & Ann Brown" <thebrowns@pdq.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:17:13 -0600
Jon,

If you have not done so already, I would strongly recommend that you retain
a customs broker/freight forwarder experienced in the import of cars to see
your car through the port of entry.  There should be a multitude of such in
Baltimore.

When I imported my lbc a few years ago this professional's fee, $85, as a
portion of the total cost was truly minimal.  He had the car delivered to my
door the day the ship arrived, after clearing all the several requisite US
and state agencies, including paying customs duty to my account.  If you use
an expert you do not need to worry about all the details

Not the least of his services was meeting the ship with approved paperwork
in hand so as to keep my new dear out of the hands of longshoremen and other
upright citizens on the waterfront.  .

You mustn't forget that you will eventually have to deal with state
authorities as well as federal.  I might mention a problem which sometimes
crops up, perhaps in only certain states, perhaps only when your local DMV
is staffed with illiterates.  If the latter is not true in your case thank
the good Lord, as you have stumbled upon an exception to the general rule.

In most states of what was once the Union, when you walk into your local DMV
to register your Commer you may expect to be asked to hand over "the Title."
England has no such animal.  You may have a document entitled "Vehicle
Registration Document V5," which has all caps bold print reciting "THE
REGISTERED KEEPER IS NOT NECESSARILY THE LEGAL OWNER."  That is, this
document says on its face that it is not proof that you own your Commer.
Welcome to a new world of bureaucrats "exercising their discretion."  (Sound
familiar?)

In my case this document was not accepted by the local DMV in the place of a
title, so I typed up a Bill of Sale on my trusty computer, using great gobs
of fancy fonts and British-sounding words, and they accepted this after it
was signed by the seller.

In your case you may have no problem, and I hope so, but if you do it is
best that you have an idea it is coming so that you might be prepared to
deal with it somehow.

Lastly, if you have not done so you might be wise to purchase marine
insurance covering voyage across the pond.  You will find that it is quite
reasonable.

This web site may be of interest:

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/imp-exp2/informal/car.htm

All the very best to you and yours for the Holiday Season,

Jim Brown
Houston