Re: Worth The Price?

To: BritshIron@aol.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Worth The Price?
From: "J Arzt" <humber_snipe@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:35:15 CST
    Well, you can tell by my list of cars, I'm not gonna get rich from ANY
of them. The Humbers in particular will cost a fortune to do the chrome and
the interiors. But I'm in no hurry. All my cars are drivable, maybe a little
rough around the edges, but they're drivable. I do things a little at a
time. I go to shows with my cars, occasionally even leave with a trophy when
MUCH nicer cars were there. The difference is, when was the last time you
saw a Humber or a Commer at a Brit-car show? I've never won anything but a
long-distance award with my Alpine, but I don't like it any less. It's just
more common.

    I guess what it comes down to, is that I like all the cars I have. I
drive them whenever I want to. I have a more "modern" car for the missus, a
1982 Mercedes diesel wagon. It has all the creature comforts she wants, and
is still simple enough for me to work on. No payments,  and reasonable
insurance costs. But I prefer my old Rootes cars. Sure, something may break
now and then, heck, they're 30 to 40 years old. That's one of the reasons I
have several! I can take a car out of use easily, and just switch to another
while I wait for parts. I spend money on them, but not as much annually as I
would if I was making payments on a new car. And, I GUARANTEE you that new
car won't make it to 40 years old.

Jon Arzt

1958 Hillman Minx convertible
1961 Humber Super Snipe