Re: Worth The Price?

To: <BritshIron@aol.com>, <british-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Worth The Price?
From: "Jim & Ann Brown" <thebrowns@pdq.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 06:40:26 -0600
Roland,

While I have suggested this before, the subject does come back to life now
and then.

If you indulge in a little rationalization perhaps you might feel a little
better about the economics of the ownership, care and feeding of (classic)
(vintage) (special interest) (just plain "old") cars -- (pick one, but only
one punch and no chads).

If one must look at this hobby as an "investment," consider the typical
two-fold nature of investments in general.  An investment generally offers
two distinct returns (if you are a more successful investor than me, that
is) -- capital appreciation and income.  The concern you express in your
posting, I would suggest, looks only at the former.  The fact that you never
"get your bait back" does not necessarily mean that you have a bad
investment.  You must also look at the income side.

I would suggest that the income you receive, while intangible, can be
immense.  This is the pleasure you receive from your ownership of your silly
little British cars, along with the satisfaction you receive from your
personal efforts in their care and improvement.  It includes the smile that
automatically comes to the face of an observer as you drive by.  It is not
unfair, in an economic sense, for you to consider this "income" element and
give it a subjective value.

Do this and you might feel better about it.  :-)

All the best,

Jim Brown
Bentley buff
Houston