Re: TR6

To: "Jack Gagnon" <bullitt@cybertours.com>,
Subject: Re: TR6
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 23:39:08 -0500
From: Jack Gagnon <bullitt@cybertours.com>

>The guy wants over $12k for this car and I have to say I was a bit
>disappointed in the condition of the car given the low miles.

Twelve thousand dollars American?

The guy is severely deluded or waiting for a barefoot pilgrim.  You can get
a nice
driver in good shape for that.

My TR4 is in much better shape than this description, and I'd take 12 grand
for it in a microsecond.

>I am a bit leery about what might go wrong with this car given how long it
>has been sitting.

And well you ought.  I'd rather have a car which has 100,000 miles of
careful use, garage storage, and no multi-year idle time.

>What types of failures are likely after sitting like this?  engine main
>seals?  brake calipers? transmission seals? radiator?

Yes.

>I understand the low miles is pretty unique, but how much is that worth
>given the overall condition of the car?

About nothing.  Miles don't kill a car like ill-treatment and shaky
long-term
storage do.

>I have only looked at a few TR6's so far, how hard is it to find rust free
>cars?

Depends upon where you are.  In the Twin Cities, where I live, don't hold
your breath too long waiting for one.  I'd expect that they would be a bit
easier to find in the Southwest.  I went to Texas for my TR4.

>I think the car is worth considering, but I do not think it is worth the
>money they are asking.

Bingo.  I can't think what this car is worth, others on the list may help,
but I surely would not pay 12K for a TR6 that could not be started and
driven off.  I wouldn't give more than a couple thousand for it, but I
understand that someone looking it over carefully with the knowledge that a
great deal of work was ahead might pay more and be correct to do so.  But
not 12 grand.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.