Spit Starting Troubles!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit Starting Troubles!
From: tomstory@slip.net (Thomas Story)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 18:11:20 -0800
Hello, I am new to this group and have my first problem to post. A quick
rundown of the car...a 1967 Spitfire, with a 1500 engine and transmission.
I bought the car a few weeks ago for 600$ with a good body and a non-siezed
engine. As the battery was dead and it had no brakes, it was flat-bedded
home. I replaced the sump gasket, drained the fuel, and radiator, as it had
been sitting for a couple of years. I put in a new starter, rebuilt the
carb., and changed all the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and "set the
timing". Here's where the problem comes in...If I set the engine to TDC,
aligning the pulley mark with the cover marks, and feel for compression in
the no.1 cylinder, the rotor seems to be facing 90 degrees from where it
should be. Like it's pointing to fire at number 3. The distibutor is not
original for the engine (I believe)it's a Delco-Remy, with vacuum advance,
and the coil appears to be 12V. So my question is, what do I do?. The
engine spins freely and fast, and I'm getting gas and spark, but no
start...Could the owner have installed the distributor drive gear out of
alignment? Where should the timing be for this distributor, 6 or 8 degrees
BTDC? Sorry of this is very long, I'm just a little frustrated after
working on this for two days, deep breath...Well thanks in advance(no pun
intended!)for any and all help! Sincerely, a gratified new member...Thomas
Story S.F., CA

"Damned little things, and they're new!
Cut just like regular chickens?
Cut just like regular chickens."