Re: austin conv, land rover smog check

To: john hess <jfhess@ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Re: austin conv, land rover smog check
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 1995 11:35:04 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 1 Jan 1995, john hess wrote:

> Questions:
>
> My father in law is reminiscing about an Austin convertible he once owned.
> As he could now enjoy the little beast AND afford to pay someone to keep it
> running, he has been looking around.  Not seriously, but if I found some
> leads he might follow them up.  Unfortunately, he doesn't remember much
> about the car.  Four door convertible, 1954 Austin.  Any hints/leads for
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Can he mean a four *passenger* convertible?  I believe there were 4
passenger "county" convertibles with 2 doors ("County" refers to a series
named after counties--Cambridge, etc).  There was a 4 passenger 2 dr
Atlantic convertible intended for the US market; it looked like the
offspring of a Daimler and a Pontiac, complete with chrome fluting on the
hood (bonnet).  I don't remember any 4 *door* Austin convertibles in this
era.  There was a spiffy little Austin A40 Sports convertible that would
be very desirable, but I don't remember if it had 2 seats or 4--I think 4.
If he just wants an Austin convertible, tell him to check out the A40
sports.  Should be able to locate one through Hemmings or this list.  They
are rare and attractive, and should be simple mechanically.  Look for a
good body, though, because I doubt you will find many used spare body
parts.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910