austin conv, land rover smog check

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: austin conv, land rover smog check
From: jfhess@ucdavis.edu (john hess)
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 1995 10:26:22 -0800
hello british car fiends,

I am becoming a real british car idiot here in Davis.  First, with a
Sunbeam Tiger and now a new to me Land Rover Dormobile.  This beast is a
Land rover 109 station wagon that was converted by a firm in england for
camping.  It has a propane stove, small sink (that drains to the earth) and
some cubbies.  The most remarkable feature is the pop up top with two fold
out cots that hold you suspended inside the rear area, up at roof level.
My kid loves it.  All the seats fold flat to form a double size bed.  Not
as comfortable as my bed, but definitely as good as a futon.

Questions:

My father in law is reminiscing about an Austin convertible he once owned.
As he could now enjoy the little beast AND afford to pay someone to keep it
running, he has been looking around.  Not seriously, but if I found some
leads he might follow them up.  Unfortunately, he doesn't remember much
about the car.  Four door convertible, 1954 Austin.  Any hints/leads for
me?

Opinions requested.  My new rover is failing california smog inspections.
I have been getting advice from the land rover people and hope to in the
future pass, but if anyone has direct experience, let me know.  I have a
straight 6 with a stromberg 175 carb.  I am told this is similar to a TR6.
My latest attempts to pass will center on retaerding the timing and leaning
out the fuel mixture. (BTW, I'm failing because of >500 ppm of hydrocarbons
in the exhaust at idle speed.)

Thanks, happying motoring,

PS.  In Dvais, this is the wet season.  It's usually raining or cloudy or
foggy.  Today, very fine rain, temps in the 50's (F).

john f hess phd (wow, really?)
jfhess@ucdavis.edu
from home via modem
Land-
  -Rover, Sunbeam Tiger and good ol reliable Mazda owner!