RE: Battery cut-off switch

To: Rick Colombo <COLOMBO@fndcd.fnal.gov>
Subject: RE: Battery cut-off switch
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 12:13:02 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 13 Dec 1994, Rick Colombo wrote:

> Ray
>
> That's twice now that you've replied to something I have posted that
> essentially agrees with what I wrote but you just seem to have to say it
> your way.  For safety reasons, you want to disconnect the ground first.

I am sorry if you think I am disputing you because I just want to say it
my way.  I cannot remember the other instance you refer to, so cannot
comment on it.  In this case, if you meant the same thing I said, then I
misread your original post.  You said:

> Electrically speaking, to disable an electrical circuit, you want to remove
> the ground cable first.  So, on a positive ground circuit, you want to
> remove the positive cable.  Since battery posts are different sizes and this
> item only fits the (smaller) negative post, its use would not be effect on a
> positive ground circuit.

I took this to be a statement that "to disable an electrical circuit"
it was *necessary* to remove the ground cable first, and that a cutoff
would not be effective if installed in the connection to the negative or
hot side of a positive ground battery.  This seemed to me incorrect,
because a properly designed cutoff would be effective and safe on either
terminal of a battery.

I am sorry if you feel offended.  I never meant to offend.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910