Re: Oh Oh!, There's no Motor in the TR6!

To: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Oh Oh!, There's no Motor in the TR6!
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 10:14:33 -31802 (PST)
On Wed, 7 Dec 1994, Bob Lang wrote:
> Hello,
> Well, I'm only _2 weeks_ in arrears with B-C digests.

Well, good to have you back.

>     I then proceeded to take a brief journey around
> the block, well, actually I drove around 15 miles. When I got back I drained
> the fluids and then I removed the engine and TRansmission.

Sort of a funny phrase if taken out of context.  You're perhaps taking the
"drive it on the weekend, work on it during the week" thing a little too
literally.  This could actually scare people away from owning Triumphs
for the great amount of maintenance required to keep them running.

>So far so good. It looks like taking that transmission out was a good idea.
>magnetic drain plug sort of looked like "Bill the Cat" from the Outland comic
>strip with all of the ferrous metal attached to it. That's bad, I'll probably
>be placing a big order for TRansmission parts from TRF in the next few weeks.

        I do have to say Bob, that "transmission guts on the magnetic
oil drain plug" gig is used by a few less-than-reputable transmission
shops to scare customers into a rebuild.  Certainly some flakes of metal
will be present due to normal wear and are nothing to worry about.
However, if you see things like ball bearings, sections of washers, needle
bearing fragments, an image of Barney, etc.. you have done well in
removing the unit.

>Could it be shipright's disease? Can Bob get it all back together _before_ the
>good weather starts?

I guess it depends on who you view as your peers.  Be wary of
shipfitter's disease; some on this list have done ground-up restorations
for less than an oil leak and a fuzzy trans drain plug.

> Bob Lang

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6