re: Cleaning/Degreasing

To: BRITISH-CARS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: re: Cleaning/Degreasing
From: Colin Brace <BRACEC@A1.MGH.HARVARD.EDU>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 1994 12:01:00 -0500 (EST)
          I read a tech-tip somewhere, I cannot remember the citation, sorry
          (Hey, I'll be 40 monday, I guess I'm feeling it!), anyway, the tip
          was to fill a container (large pail, 55 gallon drum, whatever) with
          solvent, then fill it the rest of the way with water. The principle
          here being that since solvent is petroleum-based, it will float on
          the surface of the water, set your basket containing parts in the
          pail/drum/whatever only as far down as the solvent is, you would
          have to find a way to suspend the basket without dropping down into
          the water, such as clamping it with vice-grips or something more
          elegant. This way the dirt/grease/grunge falls off down into the
          water, keeping the solvent clean.

          Then again, there is the dishwasher-when-the-wife's-out-shopping
          trick. (It worked quite well, actually)

          Colin     WA1KWA

          bracec@a1.mgh.harvard.edu

          74 MGB