Re: better lube + German gas and oil prices.

To: tdm@akguc.att.com
Subject: Re: better lube + German gas and oil prices.
From: Agustin de la Calle <delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 11:16:57 -0500 (EST)
Don,
I know, this is a complex topic where one could argue for ever, but at
least what I see in academics - i.e. after academics - when it's time to
(hopefully) find a job, their starting salaries are well under the
American salaries. The taxes and the expensive insurances in Germany eat
most of the income so that the effective net salary isn't all that
exciting anymore. Here it depends for the most part on the benefits that
the employer takes care of. One can be very lucky (or not).
I would say the money is more here, but the workload too. One starts with
25 to 28 days of holidays a year.
I noticed that the restaurants here (at least in Boston?) are more
expensive than in Germany. I don't mean fast food chains, they are
cheaper here. Maybe it would be good to compare the price of a good pint
of beer? ;-)
It's not my intention to provoke such an endless discussion here where
much more interesting topics should be discussed.
Cheers,
        Gus