re: Installing windshield and rear window in a GT6+

Subject: re: Installing windshield and rear window in a GT6+
From: Andy Mace <AMACE@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 1994 12:52:13 PDT
Larry:

1. I would definitely put the rubber on the glass first, then fit to
the body. You may find that judicious use of a rubber mallet will help
persuade the assembly to fit into the body snugly. Not to be sarcastic,
but RTFM; it gives a good description of the process, and that's always
worked for me.

2. I wouldn't use any sealer while trying to install. At best it will get on
everything and mess everything up. If you get everything centered nicely
and then get it to go in straight, you may find you'll need little or no
additional sealer. (I've found this to be the case even when reusing old
gaskets.) If you do need more after installation to prevent leaks, it's
not hard to apply. Again, RTFM. :-)

3. I'm confused -- don't the new gaskets come bonded together? If not,
then I'd assume an angle cut would be better, if only to give more
surface for bonding of same?

I've done the whole procedure myself, but it's definitely easier with a
trusted assistant on the outside, pushing and "rubber malleting" as
needed, while you fight with the cord and gasket on the inside. Remember,
if YOU'RE the one outside pushing and banging, you've only yourself to
blame if the glass cracks!

Of course, don't even think about removing the glass without first
cutting away as much of the old gasket, especially from inside, as you
possibly can. No offense, just friendly advice! (Been there, done that,
got the glass shards in my shoes, etc.)

Andy Mace
Hoag's Corners, the Herald capital of eastern NY