Re: Weber DGV and Color Tune

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Weber DGV and Color Tune
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 22:30:05 -0400 (EDT)

>      Does anyone have any experience tuning a Weber DGV? I have it
>      installed on a 1980 MGB. What's the verdict on Color Tune? Does it
>      work well? What's a good price for it? And last are there any tips to
>      using the Color Tune that anyone can give me?
>
>      Chris

 I've set up too many of those things. The final setup varies drasticly
bepending on which manifold, header, exhaust, cam, compression, air filter,
distributor, etc. are used. In other words, no two will be the same. The
little bit of advice I can give is:

 The jetting will be wrong. There are six that can easily be changed.
   Ignore it and live with what you get, or tinker. Best bet is to find
   someone with a stock of jets and a chassis dyno.

 The accelerator pump jet is way too small. It's like .3mm, and will end up
   some where around .9mm. In reality, the bleed off jet is wrong too,
   but it's too much hassle to change for the small gain.

 They usually, but not always, run better with the float level lowered
   about 1 mm.

 Hook up what ever token water heating was supplied with the intake. If it
   doesn't have any, send it back and get one that does.

 The vacuum port on the Weber is useless on a B engine. Drill and tap a hole
   in the manifold to get vacuum for the distributor.

 Make sure the seal between the brake booster and master is okay.

 With all that set up, I use the following jetting as a starting point:

  Primary slow run 50
  Secondary "   "  55
  Primary Main    130
  Secondary "     140
  Primary Air     190
  Secondary "     160
  Pump jet         70
  Ignition timing set to 15 before at idle (800) without vacuum.

   Good luck.

    Randy