Re: My horn still doesn't work!!, etc.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My horn still doesn't work!!, etc.
From: fickes@taurus.apple.com (Stan Fickes)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 16:50:03 -0800
Charlie Farwell asked:
>        What's the deal?? I guess there is supposed to be electrical
>        continuity between the rack and the pinion gears to make that
>        final connection to ground, but it's not happening!!

There ought to be at least three points of electrical continuity between
the pinion and the rack housing: the rack and pinion gears, and the two
pinion bushings (I'm assuming they're metal.)  You can test for no-contact
between the gears by turning the wheel to one side enough to start turning
the wheels, then try the horn.  Regardless, though, the bushings should
provide a good ground.

>        Is there supposed to be _conductive_ grease in the steering
>        gears? Could someone have filled the rack housing with
>       _non-conductive_ lubricant? What is the RC constant of 90-weight
>       anyway? Am I losing my mind?

The oil would only be conductive if there were enough metal floating in it
to provide a circuit.  I could see this in an old engine with no oil
changes, or even an dying gearbox, but not a steering box.  Especially not
one that once worked and does no longer.  What was the last thing you did
before the horn stopped working?  Or is this one of those 'previous owner
did it' things?  I wish I could be more help...

On another subject, I have a friend restoring a Lotus Seven who needs a
pair of front suspension uprights, including calipers and rotors etc. from
an early Spitfire.  Anybody have a set to spare?  Thanks!
  sf

Stan Fickes                             British Cars
Wireless Communication Technologies     1951 MGTD
Advanced Technology Group               1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
Apple Computer, Inc.
408 974-7653