Re: Oiling leaf springs

To: feold@umd5.umd.edu (Chip Old)
Subject: Re: Oiling leaf springs
From: jerry@tr2.com (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 20:14:53 -0700 (PDT)
Chip Old wrote:
> Except that those O-rings are neeoprene or some other synthetic rubber
> that can withstand contact with petroleum-based lubricants.  The inserts
> used in older leaf springs are sometimes natural rubber, which
> deteriorates in contact with oil or grease.
**** Well, I suppose one could always lubricate them with Castrol green
brake grease.  The same problems extend to the rubber parts sold for britcar
front ends.  I would pay serious cash for a set of TR3 trunnion seals that
wouldn't rot away in a few months!  BTW, I found a secret to keeping
them on:  just spin a nylon cable tie around each one.  They rot away
anyway, but the carcasses stay around the trunnion.  TR3 folks will know
what I'm talking about :-).

                         - Jerry Kaidor