Re: Rustproof removal

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (britcars)
Subject: Re: Rustproof removal
From: Paul Amaranth <amaranth@Vela.ACS.Oakland.Edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 10:29:49 -0400 (EDT)
Forwarded message:
> From WATSON@wmich.edu Wed Oct 05 14:27:29 1994
> Date: Wed, 05 Oct 1994 14:27:29 -0400 (EDT)
> From: WATSON@wmich.edu
> Subject: Rustproof removal
>
> So far I have tried engine cleaner and a heat gun with a wooden stick.  Has
> anyone tried kerosene?  Or is there an quick and easy way to remove really
> thick layers of rust coating?

One way that works pretty well is to use a torch to soften it up and
then scrape it off with a putty knife.  For the most part, this stuff
has a high ignition temperature and doesn't burn very well.  If it does
ignite, you can generally blow it out if you do it quickly and not let
it get away from you.  A heat gun is probably better than an open flame
(you need an industrial model with lots of btus).  You can clean up the
remainder with laquer thinner (assuming you have an enamel paint, of
course).  Brake cleaning solvent would probably work as well.

Note:  This is dangerous, take all necessary precautions, if you burn
your garage and house down, don't blame me, I don't advocate this.  Keep
a source of water and a fire extinguisher handy.  Don't breath solvent
fumes.

--
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (810) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
               (e-mail)     amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu