Getting there is half the fun

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, fordnatics@freud.arc.nasa.gov
Subject: Getting there is half the fun
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 1994 12:07:27 -0800
I thought buying an alternator and a few other odds and ends for the
snake would be the justification I've been looking for for the past
couple of years to part with the $10 membership fee to "join" the Auto
Parts Club.  But like the 3 or 4 previous trips I've made to this parts
store, the specific item I was looking for, the correct alternator for a
289 Cobra in this case, wasn't even listed in their computerized
database.  Membership will have to wait for another day.  They did have
a later alternator like the one I pulled off the Fairlane engine
currently in the car, but I already knew that one wouldn't fit properly
on the special bracket requred.  I could have picked up a couple of
items and paid the extra 5% non members mark-up, but it didn't seem
worth the wait in line for such a small purchase.

While I was there I did asked one of the clerks if he could identify the
part I had found mounted next to the starter solenoid.  This was a three
terminal electrical component about 1 1/2" long by about 3/4" square.
Stamped on it were two names, Autolite and Littel Fuse Co, and a typical
looking FoMoCo part number.  The clerk didn't have a clue but when I
suggested either a ballast resistor or horn relay he assured me, "no
way".

The next place had the same later alternator in stock, but doubted
whether one like mine could be located in a reasonable length of time.
In their opinion my mystery part was either a fuse or some sort of
circuit breaker.  For sure it wasn't a ballast resistor or a horn relay.

The counter man at the next place was an old geezer like myself and
instantly recognized the alternator as being of early Ford vintage.  He
didn't have one in stock either, but had a rebuilder who could refurbish
mine.  He didn't know what my mystery part was, but he was able to cross
reference the Ford part number in another supplier's catalog.  It turned
out to be a horn relay.  I dropped off the alternator and ordered a new
relay.  I should be able to pick up both in a couple of days.

It seems the old beer can will have to wait a bit longer.  Oh well, at
least I was able to expose a few more square feet of shiny aluminum.

Roland