RE: LBC Mods vs. Calif. Emmissions.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, key@cs.utk.edu
Subject: RE: LBC Mods vs. Calif. Emmissions.
From: "GERONIMO, SC9-32, 765-4903, PAGE 231-6612" <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 94 11:02:29 PST
>  I'm considering a move to the left coast (Santa Cruz area) and am
>concerned about bringing my LBC into the state.  It's a '73 TR-6 that I
>bought "restored" and then promptly had to rebuild the engine and trany
>(clutch is next).  When I bought the car, it was sans EGR.  I suspect
>I'll have to replace that.  During the re-build, my engine builder put
>in a mildly racy cam (Iskenderian Z-19 - It's grind seemed similar to

>Am I automatically in trouble because of the cam and/or headers, or is it
>solely
>up to the sniffer?  Could some kind soul direct me to who the appropriate
>Calif. agency is for these questions and specs? (DMV???)  I'd like to test
>it and get it right here before I haul it cross-continent.

I've got a California '73 GT6, it has no EGR, only the charcoal canister and
PCV.  I would think you'd need at least those items to pass visual and the
stock carbs/manifold/air filters. I think headers are OK.  The cam may be a
problem, though, because it may not pass the tailpipe emissions test.  I think
some folks have gotten around that by adding alcohol to the gas to lean out
the mixture temporarily.  The two beasties that handle the smog stuff here are
the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) and the CA Air Resources Board (CARB).
The number for BAR is (800)952-5210.  I don't have one for CARB.  I had a
number for smog device info, but can't find it, any of the DMVs can supply it.
The one closest to where your going is Capitola (408)476-7480.

Mike G.