Hobbyist alert in British Car mag

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Hobbyist alert in British Car mag
From: DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 1994 11:53:14 -0700 (MST)
The editorial in this month's British Car warns of possible
impending legislation to impose stiff tax penalties on older non-
emission-controlled vehicles.  My home state of Arizona (renowned
for legislative buffoonery) was specifically mentioned in this
regard.

Even more horrifying is the idea, apparently being bandied about
in some quarters, that emission controls be retrofitted to older
cars that did not have them originally!!!

Fortunately this last idea is impractical enough to be unlikely
(one fervently prays).  Anyone still driving an old banger without
any collector appeal will probably find it cheaper to get into a
newer vehicle than to buy a very expensive retro-smog kit...even
if anyone were building such things.

I intend to look into this further, and if I find that such
legislation is impending in my state, write some very sharp
letters about the relative smog impact of hobby vehicles.
I hope others will do the same.

Dan Parslow
 1966 Triumph Vitesse (Sports 6)
 1979 Triumph Spitfire
 1981 Nissan Long Bed, for carrying bits of the above.