Re: Vitesse!

To: DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM
Subject: Re: Vitesse!
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 1994 12:42:15 -0600 (CST)
DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM writes >

> Always wanted a Triumph 6, and I've just bought a seriously
> wacky example:  A '66 Vitesse.

What is this.  I have heard the name, but know nothing about them.  I know
what Herald looks like.

> The engine appears good and sound and can be started, but I don't
> want to run it until I've had a chance to replace the oil and get
> good fuel into it.

Put new oil in it and change the filter.  As soon as you get the oil hot,
dump it and put new oil and a change of filter.  I normally use the same
oil after winter storage, but that is only after I change it in the fall
and crank it to displace the last bit of contamination from the bearings.
You don't want the oil in there because you don't believe it was stored right.
The first change you do should get most of the crud out of the system.  An
extra change of oil/filter is an expense and a hassle, but may save you
trouble later.

> It even has the ghastly stock oil filter cannister.

Increasing the hassle quotient of the previous procedure.  Is there a good
spin-on adaptor available?  I never did get one for my Midget.  What a mess.

> Solex carbs, too...I've never seen them before.  They certainly
> look simple enough.

Solex carbbies are, well, er, not my first choice.  I had them on Opels and
SAABs and they were really junk.  Warped too badly to rebuild.  I'm glad
I got a Weber with my Europa.  The gag is that in the Renault R-16, they
used a really crummy one-barrel Solex.  When they upped the engine to
Lotus specs for the Europa, they replaced it with a crummy TWO-barrel Solex.
Can you pop on SUs?  Downdraft Weber on stock manifold?  Geez, even the
FoMoCo carb they used on some SAABs was better than the Solex.

> The only reason the floor isn't rusted out is that the carpets
> aren't there to hold rainwater.

Seems to me that some loudmouth in Minnesota keeps harping on this.

> Oh yes, the top was new when it
> was parked and is still good enough to keep.  Fascia and dash top
> are beyond restoring.

Were the windows open to allow rodentia and rain with out screwing up the top?
Is this a four-seat convertible like a Herald?

> "It takes a special kind of person to own a British Car"
> - my department head, saying 'special' in the tone of voice
> most of us employ for the word 'weird.'

I have told people at work that I have a Lotus Europa, but few of them
have the foggiest idea what that means.