Vitesse!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Vitesse!
From: DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 1994 9:57:44 -0700 (MST)
Well, now I've done it.

Always wanted a Triumph 6, and I've just bought a seriously
wacky example:  A '66 Vitesse.  The body is straight and sound,
rust free apart from a few superficial places where paint's been
scratched off.  Problem areas such as floors, sills and wheel
wells show no sign of repairs.  All the badges are in place, and
most of the indicators are intact or repairable. Even the paint
is almost good enough to buff out and keep for a while. Chrome is
not pitted anywhere.

The engine appears good and sound and can be started, but I don't
want to run it until I've had a chance to replace the oil and get
good fuel into it.

It's fully stock except for a Delco alternator.  It even has the
ghastly stock oil filter cannister.  The Jaeger instruments
indicate ~85K and I suspect that may actually be accurate.
Solex carbs, too...I've never seen them before.  They certainly
look simple enough.

The only problems are the gearbox (not diagnosed yet), possibly
the clutch, and the interior is total loss, it's been parked in
the desert for at least a year or two, and the rabbits, pack
rats, sun and rain (yes we get that) have had their way with it.
The only reason the floor isn't rusted out is that the carpets
aren't there to hold rainwater.  Oh yes, the top was new when it
was parked and is still good enough to keep.  Fascia and dash top
are beyond restoring.

My one worry is that the engine may have a failed crankshaft
thrust bearing, but I won't be sure until I can strip it.

My questions are:  1) Any Vitesse or early GT6 owners have any
caveats about this drivetrain?  All info appreciated.
2) Any SOLer's from the west side of the lake experienced in
dealing with TriumphTune on major components?  Is it a hassle?
Unreasonably expensive?
3)  Could someone send me info on the Triumph Sports Six Club?

Thanks.
- Dan Parslow

"It takes a special kind of person to own a British Car"
- my department head, saying 'special' in the tone of voice
most of us employ for the word 'weird.'