MGB OD Problems

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB OD Problems
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 94 10:51:23 -0800
I have an overdrive problem that someone might help me diagnose.

The overdrive is in a 1968 MGBGT and has about a year's worth of driving after
being rebuilt.  It has 30 wt oil, the level of it is about 1/3 down from full to
low.  The oil has not been changed since the transmission & OD was rebuilt.

The car has been sitting outside on dirt and not moving for nine months.

Symptoms:

Initially everything works correctly.  After about 5 minutes or so of driving,
the car freewheels when letting off the gas when not in OD, or in first or
second gears.  The OD seems to engage correctly in third and fourth and not go
in in first or second.  When in OD, the car does not freewheel when getting off
the gas.  On the freeway, after 20 minutes of so of driving not in over drive,
the car started to pop into & out of over drive (so I put into OD).  The short
term cure  is to take it home with OD engaged and park it until I can get it
fixed.

So, any experts out there willing to hazard some guesses as to what is
happening?  My thought is to put it on stands, check anything I can for
movement, clean the screen, change the oil, and try to clean any check ball &
passage I can reach without pulling the transmission.

Expert opinions gladly accepted,

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561