Re: TR3 Brake resevoirs

To: dec254!reed@uunet.uu.net, apple.com!twakeman@uunet.uu.net,
Subject: Re: TR3 Brake resevoirs
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 93 10:22:51 -0800
In message <9311181446.AA19979@relay2.UU.NET> John Reed writes:

> TeriAnn,
>
> A gentleman named Bryon Powers from Hunt Valley, Maryland had a late
> TR3A (TS75345L) at the 1989 TRA nationals in Uniontown, PA.  He claimed
> this car was completely original, and the only part which was replaced was
> the battery.  He had purchased the car from the family of the original
> owner somewhere in Maine.  The car was in very good condition and he had
> the window sticker, tool kit and most everything that came with the car.
> I believe the car had been stored in a barn as the original owner had
> died some time ago.
>
> I took a look at some pictures I took of this car and they show a black
> painted resevoir with the clutch/brake decal.  There was some paint
> worn off the cap and in general it looked like it had aged on the car.
> All of the original resevoirs I have seen have been painted black, but this
> is the first one with the decal.  My guess is the decal comes off easily or
> was only applied to later cars.
>
> The TRA judging standards specify a black resevoir with the decals, but
> then again this is not gospel (except to maybe a judge).  You might also
> check with Tom Householder in Lancaster, OH.  He holds some office with
> TRA; I don't have his address with me but I can get it for you if you
> need it.  Tom owns an original, very early TR2 which he purchased at
> the Harrah's auction several years ago.
>
> Good luck getting everything back where it belongs.  I'll be trying to
> do the same with my '57 TR3 next spring.
>
> john

John,

Thanks for the research.  I did a little on my own last night, looking through a
stack of car articals from the fifties.  I found 3 that showed a picture thast
included the resevior.  All three had black reseviors and a big rectangular
label.  The label was on the lower end of the cylinder and partly covered by the
mounting clamp.

Where would we be without the very few original cars and period pictures.  Now
if I can just figgure out how much of the front right wiring harness is outside
the bulkhead.  Maybe I should fly to Maryland and take pictures of Bryon's car.

Thanks for the help!

TeriAnn  "should it be a 1-1/2 inch or a 1-1/4 inch screw?????????"

Or as my room mate is starting to say "You have become a authinticity freak"

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561